Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Thinking of Thanksgiving

The random thoughts that come with Thanksgiving planning sometimes surprise even me, the blogger with a category label for Random Thoughts.

Let's try an organic heirloom turkey this year! Last year the Fabled Fairies earned a Butterball coupon (or two). This year we noticed an ad for a nearby meat market and their turkeys and decided it was worth a try. Local business (all of 6 blocks away), quality product (we've bought their sausages and pork chops and other meats in the past), what's not to like? If we decide we prefer the (gulp) mass-produced meat, we'll go back to it next year. But seriously, I hope not. A few more dollars on a special turkey will be dollars well spent.

Brother and Sister-in-law will be staying at their Chicago-area home this year. They're expecting a tiny new addition to the family, and mama-to-be may feel uncomfortable fitting into a seatbelt. Staying home will allow her to relax and maybe, just maybe, start timing contractions in the comfort of her own home. We'll host a slightly smaller party: our own nuclear family, including La-Petite-home-from-school, my mom and stepdad, and Chuck's parents.

Sister-in-law usually brings the pies; maybe it's time to try the bakery down the road from the meat market. I love to bake, but pies are not my specialty, and I don't think a mixed-berry dump cake would fit the Thanksgiving menu.

Now I just need to decide if we're having rootmash or regular mashed potatoes - or both. Opinions? Preferences?

Yes, I KNOW there's a Packer game. Chuck is thankful that it's in Detroit; he'd have to work if the game were at Lambeau Field. We'll plan our dinnertime around it, and squeeze a radio into the kitchen so the cooks don't miss a play.

Labels: , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope the turkey lives up to your expectations!

11/18/2009 1:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. Every now and then I read a random blog, just for fun. We will be hosting our annual, much anticipated Thanksgiving dinner. It's become something of an event each year. A collection of friends that are family and all their kids. So, organic turkey, despite the cost is also my choice. I mean, how many times a year do we all eat a big turkey? As for the rootmash...I tried straying from the traditional dishes, suggesting variations and my friends, bless them, revolted. Mash potatoes it is!

Happy Thanksgiving from Oregon

11/18/2009 5:05 PM  
Blogger Halibut said...

Our turkey will be a wild one I shot with my cross bow.

11/18/2009 7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.