It's genetic: I get it from my children.
Wait, that's not me. We usually eat at home.
Mother's Day: the annual opportunity to celebrate or complain about those lovely inherited traits that Mom passed along.
Long ago, I posted a list of ten traits I have in common with my son, Amigo. A few days later I posted a companion piece, a top ten list of traits I share with my daughter. Are these lists still true? Let's find out.
Ten things I have in common with my son, Amigo
1. We're both disabled. Yes, this remains true. He is vision impaired and has Asperger's Syndrome. I am hearing impaired.
2. We like to go out for lunches and brunches, especially in the summer. This tradition will continue when school is out. Funday Friday, here we come!
3. Both of us have a tendency to get anxious in new and difficult situations. He's gotten a little better at coping, which lessens the stress on me as well.
4. We bond over Trivia. Amigo's expertise lies in the areas of sports venues and college teams, among others. He's amazing.
5. Green Bay Packer football! He is a cheesehead through and through. We're both appalled at the idea of Favre becoming a Minnesota Viking.
La Petite shares #5 with us. Favre? Say it isn't so!
After I wrote my list of ten about Amigo, I promised La Petite I'd write about her, too. She responded, with her voice positively gooey and dripping, "Ooo, I feel so special."
1. We share a talent for sarcasm.
2. We enjoy shoes. She loves her Converse All-Stars, and I actually enjoy taking her shopping for shoes because it's so much fun.
3. We don't mind getting dirt under our nails. she is good with flowers; I take charge of the vegetable garden.
4. We can share a box of mixed chocolates without conflict. She likes the milk chocolate, while I prefer the dark.
5. We enjoy our caffeine. She lives on Mt. Dew, and I love my coffee.
We do pretty well, my kiddos and me. We have enough in common to enjoy each other, when I'm not embarrassing them or driving them crazy with my hovering and worry. I'm cold, put on a sweater! Wash your hands! Don't forget your cell phone! Call me! I mean it!
In honor of Mothers' Day, Parent Bloggers Network is calling attention to the Celebrity Hand Me Down Auction running from May 7th to May 14th on eBay. If you're not bidding on something from Jessica Alba or Gwyneth Paltrow there, do something nice in your own area for your own mom or another special woman in your life. We're tentatively planning a potluck at our house. With everyone here, it'll be like Thanksgiving, but better weather! Stumble It!