Monday, June 11, 2007

Mom's playing in the dirt! And she likes it!

Assignment: Why do you enjoy weeding? Explain. Support your thesis with details or pictures.

I enjoy weeding because I can see progress. My garden is divided into small sections, set apart by my stepping "stones" made from old deck and fence pieces. I set a goal of weeding one section at a time. When that's done, I can quit weeding or choose to finish another section. This is a managable goal; I feel productive when I can see the results in one part of the plot. It spares me the frustration of not "finishing" the whole thing, which is of course an impossible goal. Today I chose one triangular section of the garden and weeded out the many mini maples that flew in from the lot behind ours. If I ever abandon this small plot of ground behind my garage, I predict the mini maples will take over, leaving room for a blanket of clover underneath. But for now, look out maples! I have garden gloves and I know how to use them. Bwahahahaha!


Below, left: Mini Maple Farm Below, right: Mini Maple Farm battling with Zucchini squash









Who will win this dramatic battle of wills? Stay tuned for more, on Mom's Playing in the Dirt.




Labels: ,

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

4 Comments:

Blogger Scribbit said...

I had to read the question twice. I guess the thought that anyone enjoys weeding never crossed my mind :)

I do love gardening, just not the weeding. It gets my fingernails filthy and I hate wearing gloves because I can't really get at the little things with them on.

6/12/2007 6:56 PM  
Blogger Club 166 said...

We moved into our first (and only) house 9 years ago, after a long time living in apartments.

We thought that it would be so nice to garden.

Then we discovered that "gardening" is really a euphemism for "weeding".

We do some "gardening", but most of the time the weeds get the best of us.

Joe

6/12/2007 8:10 PM  
Blogger Joy said...

no one is allowed to complain about dirt under their nails until they work in a garden center

6/12/2007 11:50 PM  
Blogger Daisy said...

Dirt under my nails is a small price to pay for the staisfaction of a simple garden.

6/13/2007 8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.