Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Random Sights on Election Day thus far

At the polls:
  • a long line (Yippee! People taking seriously their responsibility to vote)
  • voters of all ages, from college on up
  • professionals on their way to work, dressed in their office best
  • everyday folk, dressed in their jeans and sweatshirts
  • a few carrying coffee cups
  • a voter carrying his bike wheel (one of those with the detachable front wheel to prevent theft, I think)
  • a mom and dad with their sleepy toddler in a stroller
  • a man in his pajama pants, big t-shirt, and slippers
  • two firefighters in uniform
  • a lot of friendly, talkative people who didn't mind waiting in line
Bumper stickers:
  • If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.
  • Proud, patriotic, and pagan
  • I'm pro-accordion, and I vote. (<--my favorite)
And more:
  • The man in his pajamas was the first voter in line at our polling place. He came out the door, saw all of us still waiting, lifted his arms in the air and announced, "I'm number 1!" and proceeded to stick his "I Voted" sticker on his forehead. Yes, we laughed.
  • A residence life staffer from a nearby college told me that they're running shuttles at regular intervals to all the polls that serve the campus. This young man also let me go ahead of him in line while he waited for a friend who was registering.
  • I teach in a school building that is also a polling place. We had 5th graders dressed in red, white, and blue holding doors for people as they came into our building. The kids got a great view of democracy in action, and the voters got a chance to meet some good kids.
  • The poll workers at our school request the location (are you ready for this?) because we provide them with comfortable chairs for the day. Many workers are elderly, and they work long shifts, so those of us with good quality office-style desk chairs loan them out for the day. It's the least we can do to support these wonderful people.
I posted early this evening because I'm almost afraid to watch the results tonight. I'm quite nervous about the close races in our district. If they go the wrong way.... well, I won't think about it.

Labels: , ,

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I have to tell you, I was moved by your post. It's great to see the diversity that makes this country great, turn out on election day.

I'm debating how to spend the evening as well. I may go to election central, but will most likely be sitting at home, with the television on but volume down, laying in the fetal position hoping for a positive election outcome :)

11/07/2006 4:59 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

I was surprised by how busy our little voting site was as well. It's GOT to be a good sign.

I missed your reference to Lawrence the last time I read that post. I have a friend who worked there six or seven years ago. I'm pretty sure it was Lawrence, anyway. Appleton, right?

11/07/2006 5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.