Thursday, July 20, 2006

Mom's playing in the dirt again!

Weeding feels good because:
  • I can't hear the telephone.
  • Digging in the dirt is fun.
  • It doesn't matter if I'm all sweaty and grimy.
  • I can appreciate the growth of my vegetables by comparing them to the weeds I'm pulling out.
  • I see the little flowers that mean the plants will bear fruit -- some time.
  • I can laugh at the tiny "stray" tomato plants that grew where the rotten fruit dropped last fall.
  • The science teacher in me looks at all the clover and thinks, "Wow! There's a lot of nitrogen in this soil! Who needs fertilizer?"
  • I notice the little grubs and worms that aerate the rich soil; and they're not, I said NOT, yucky.
  • I notice how dark and rich the soil is, thanks to our home-grown compost.
  • The weeds (well, most of them) will become part of the cycle of life by decomposing in the compost bin.
  • Progress is noticeable. Every little bit of weeding shows results.

I heard a garden expert on the radio recommend that serious gardeners spend about 30 minutes a day weeding and maintaining. I don't come near that, so I guess I'm not "serious" by his standards. I do keep it up, though, and get my hands dirty and produce good things to eat. My garden makes me happy. Isn't that enough?

update: I have entered this post in Scribbit's Write-Away Contest. Details here.

Labels:

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

6 Comments:

Blogger Trudi said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7/21/2006 8:22 PM  
Blogger Trudi said...

LOL Oh gosh, I hear ya! Wonderful therapy weeding the garden.. or is that gardening the weeds?

Blessings to You
OM

P.S.ssst! Sorry about the deleted post, hit the wrong buton! :)

7/21/2006 8:25 PM  
Blogger Daisy said...

There are still several clover plants that "grew" while I was composting the rest. Ah, well, they're not taking over -- yet. Tomorrow will be another day.

7/22/2006 7:56 PM  
Blogger Scribbit said...

30 minutes a day? Gasp. Gosh, I do probably 2 hours a week when I'm at my most productive. That includes the mowing too.

But I'm already dreaming of what I'm going to plant . . . .

4/04/2007 10:00 PM  
Blogger Patois42 said...

Most excellent! I envy your ability and dedication. I found you through Scribbit's contest. Great entry for it.

4/20/2007 8:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I too loose myself when playing in the dirt. What a great entry for growth.

4/26/2007 8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.