Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Insomnia

Two bad nights in a row. That's unusual. Most of the time one bad night will leave me tired enough to sleep the second. Not this time.

So far:
  • no naps
  • keeping busy outside (re-potted tomato seedlings)
  • half-caff coffee, none after noon
  • keeping busy inside (laundry, a necessary evil)
  • keeping mind busy - this is the toughest element in the list.
My brain has been linking memories and concerns with connections that just don't make sense. Round and round, circular motion, or is it a spiral? If it's a spiral, I wish it would spiral out of my mind and let me sleep.

Social networking is coming in handy. Online friends have recommended:
  • melatonin, in small doses
  • meditation
  • notebook next to the bed for writing concerns, even poems
  • Music: when I'm obsessing over regrets from the past, remember "Let it be."
  • Music: "Morning has Broken" to ease me out of bed whether I've slept or not
One major decision: Do I call the doctor? And if so, the family doctor or the psychiatric NP with the several-month long waiting list? I'm not eager to start Ambien or any other sleep aid. I fear the addiction that I developed last time Ambien was part of my routine.

Well, dear readers, I'll take any advice you have for me. If I could just shut off the part of my brain that keeps replaying regrets and mistakes and -- that's it, just and.

Labels: ,

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh. How tough to not sleep.
I hope you get a handle on it!

4/05/2012 10:07 AM  
Blogger Earth Muffin said...

I've heard good things about melatonin. Keep in mind that you have to make sure you've got at least 8 hours set aside for sleeping after you take it. Yoga can be very relaxing too.

Half-caff coffee? None after noon? Yikes. Sorry, friend! Hope you catch some good, quality Zzzz's soon.

4/05/2012 5:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Daisy, Daisy, Daisy
If you broke a tooth you would call the dentist. If you bleeding steadily from your thumb you would call the Dr.

If one of your students was not getting the math you were teaching you would be disappointed if they did not tell you or ask for help.

Call you NP!!!! They want to know of changes!!!!!

4/05/2012 5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.