Sunday, January 08, 2012

Back in the Saddle Again

It took a little more than I expected. Going back after break wasn't as smooth as I thought it might be. Then I remembered.

I didn't teach a full year last year. Coming back after break is a new skill - or one I need to remember from two years ago. I ran into unexpected responses as 2012 Back to School began.

Sleep.
My sleep routine was completely mixed up. I had trouble getting to sleep at night, staying asleep at night, and getting up in the morning. I tried a variety of solutions with a variety of results.
One night of Ambien. One night should be okay. My dependence on the drug developed after several months' use, but one night - well, it wasn't okay. I slept well that night, but the following night felt like withdrawal all over again. Deep sigh. I guess I can't chance taking this again.

After a sleepless night filled with symptoms of withdrawal, I thought I'd be exhausted enough to collapse into dreamland. Not so. Around midnight I gave in and took six mg of melatonin. It helped me get to sleep; getting up in the morning was still difficult.

Melatonin may be my temporary solution. By taking it every night, on Friday I felt awake and energized. If this week's sleep goes better, I can start walking to work again. The walk in itself will help me sleep at night, and the fresh air will help wake me in the morning. Look out, walking shoes, here I come!

Sleep is precious. After the past year's experiences, I'll never take sleep for granted again. Monday, here I come: hopefully with a full night's deposit in the sleep bank.

Labels: ,

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

2 Comments:

Blogger Miss Angel said...

I am really worried about this myself! I've actually had seven weeks off between the end of my semester, and the beginning of student teaching. My natural sleep pattern has me staying up late and sleeping until 10 am... I'm nocturnal and anything else is torture! So to make things worse, for these past 6 weeks I've been sleeping in, and in 10 days I'll be needing to be out of the house by 8:30! I'm going to start trying to force myself into a better sleep pattern this week to practice... but I can NEVER fall asleep in a timely manner at night!

1/08/2012 8:21 PM  
Anonymous Jenny said...

Sorry this is giving you trouble. I find Ambien will knock me out and I'm rested, but I miss the dreams and wakeful periods of natural sleep. Chronic sleeplessness must be debilitating.

1/08/2012 9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.