Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Granola with Fruit Butter

If you're not reading Food in Jars, you should be. This is based on one of her recipes. I made it with my apple butter, and it's making the house smell so good! If it turns out well (and so far, it is), I may include small packages of this in my holiday gift baskets.

2 cups oats (old fashioned are best, quick oats will do)
3/4 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1/4 cup peanuts
1 cup fruit butter or sauce - I used apple butter.
Spices to taste.

Stir together.
Toast at 325 degrees F., turning on the baking sheet several times.
Optional: after cooling, add raisins or other dried fruit. I like dried cranberries, or craisins. As for the nuts, 1 1/2 cups of anything nutty will work.

My apple butter has its own unique flavor, so I didn't add spices. Ginger or nutmeg might have been good. I think any combination of nuts would do. Next time, I might experiment with nuts, too.

It's fun to find a recipe that offers so many options and yet is so easy to make.

This granola is simple and delicious. Next batch might be made with my super-thick cinnamon applesauce.

Labels:

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

1 Comments:

Anonymous Nicole Gamble said...

You've made me very hungry! Can't wait to try these!

11/23/2011 4:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.