Wednesday, September 21, 2011

One year ago...

I was tired and weak from anemia (summer health troubles), but looking forward to the new school year. I did not walk to our opening meeting; I knew there was no possibility of keeping up with my quick-striding coworkers.
Then I was walking with crutches, attempting to identify and heal the ankle pain that turned out to be gout. Every try teaching science on crutches? It doesn't go well.
I was dealing with a student who would become the focal point of my blood, sweat, and tears. Let's not go into details. Somewhere in the back of my mind I expect to hear he's hurt someone, student or teacher, but I keep that part of my mind tightly closed. Well, I try.

Eventually, the stresses added up and multiplied, grew exponentially, expanded into infinity. My health took a major dive, and I finally, finally applied for a medical leave of absence.

And now? What a difference a year makes!

I'm still not full strength, but I can walk to work - less than a mile, but slightly more than half. The walk feels good.
Multi-vitamins and many, many iron-rich meals made a difference. No more anemia!
I'm starting a new job with the support of coworkers, an assigned mentor, and a principal who stops in frequently and supports me whenever there is a tough question. We had a field trip this week that (thanks to my talent in persuasive writing) brought in a sizable group of people.
Coworkers know about my hearing loss and do not consider it a problem. It's simply a fact.
I'm tired, but a good tired.

But....
I'm still tired. Every night.
Bad dreams still wake me -- often.
I have a bottle of Ambien, but I really, really don't want to get into taking that nightly. Not again.
My workplace is full of cooperative and supportive people. We all want the best for each other. Still, I keep an awful lot of information under wraps. Only my principal knows about last year's leave of absence. Once burned, twice cautious; it's hard to trust again.

Deep breath. Much of this is out of my control. That's okay. Repeat. That's okay.

A year makes a big difference. Let go of the rest. I can do this.

Labels: ,

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

4 Comments:

Anonymous Jen on the Edge said...

You've come a long way in one year. Imagine where you'll be a year from now.

9/21/2011 7:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a difference indeed! Look at how much in your world has improved!

9/21/2011 1:22 PM  
Blogger Earth Muffin said...

It's nice to hear that you're in a better place than you were a year ago. It's a journey, and you're making the most of it.

9/22/2011 4:53 PM  
Blogger Judy Jeute said...

Glad you're feeling better. One day at a time, my dear, one day at a time!

9/25/2011 5:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.