Friday, September 23, 2011

Autumn. Fall. Apples.

There's no Downtown Market this weekend due to the frivolous fall festival that my town insists on naming Octoberfest, even though it always falls on the last Saturday of September. I have plenty of good fresh food at home, though. In fact, I spent some time recently with these:



Apples! Apples! I made three kinds of applesauce. Plain, cinnamon, and red hot (with the candies, not with peppers). It's going to be a good year for eating locally; all of the apples were from a nearby orchard.

Labels: , ,

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

3 Comments:

Blogger Judy Jeute said...

You know Daisy, this is something that I really need to try and do. Just because I can't grow anything, or hardly anything, myself doesn't mean that I can't can and prepare my own foods for my family. We do have some farmer's markets within an hour's drive of me. I need to get into the habit of buying in bulk and canning their stuff....Not just sitting around wishing I had my own stuff to can! I need to get off my "can"!!!!!

9/24/2011 6:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're picking this week! It looks like it was a good season so far, for taste and size.

9/26/2011 12:12 PM  
Blogger Effie said...

LOL! Oktoberfest is always in September in Germany (according to my ex who was stationed there in the Army). He always became indignant at the places in the USA particularly the south (nicer weather) where they actually hold it in October! The shame.

9/29/2011 1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.