Thursday, August 11, 2011

Gatekeepers. I hate them.

"Good news, Daisy! You're off the wait list for our clinic. We have an opening on August 31 at 7 AM."
Me: I'm sorry, I can't make that date and time. What else is available?
Gatekeeper: We have an opening Monday, August 1st, at 8:00 AM.
Me: I'll take that one.
Gatekeeper: We'll send out paperwork for your initial appointment.

Scene: Daisy getting mail on Friday.
Me: Oh, no! This date is wrong! It says August 31 at 7! I said no to that date!
(calls clinic, connects with new gatekeeper, explains problem)
Gatekeeper: Okay, we'll cancel the 7:00 appointment on August 31st.
Me: I have 8:00 on the 1st on my calendar.
Gatekeeper: With which doctor?
Me: (reads name off paperwork)
Gatekeeper: He's not even here on the 1st. Your appointment is on the 31st.
Me: No, I refused that date. It doesn't work for me.
Gatekeeper: Okay, we'll cancel the 7:00 appointment on August 31st and put you back on the wait list.
Me: But... but... I've been waiting since March.
Gatekeeper: Is this okay?
Me: No, it's not okay. (pause) It doesn't sound like there's any other option.
Gatekeeper: (pause) Thank you. Goodbye.

Now what? Another five months' wait? The local health care system certainly doesn't take depression very seriously. I guess I'm on my own - again. Still.

Note to self: it's a marathon, not a sprint. Take time, and look at the big picture. Family doc is doing a good job so far; all will (eventually) be well.

Labels: ,

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

1 Comments:

Blogger Charade said...

How frustrating for you to have to deal with such an uncaring gatekeeper to "healthcare," this country's fastest growing business segment. I wish there were something your readers could do to help.

And I hope you're finding at least a little solace in watching the Brewers, though, as they keep putting more distance between themselves and my favorite team - the Cardinals.

8/11/2011 12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.