Monday, August 08, 2011

Farmers' Market Days

Saturdays are Market Days - Farmers' Market, that is. I reserve Saturday mornings for going to the market and buying whatever is in season. I reserve the afternoons for prepping and freezing or even canning. Here's a taste.

Berries! From left to right: sweet Bing cherries, blueberries & raspberries. The blue and red mixed when I dropped the bag as I tried to fit one more purchase in my big blue bag on wheels.


The first chore of Market Day this week: sort the mixed up berries. I nibbled quite a few. After this, I rinsed all three kinds of fruit and pitted the cherries. The blueberries are now in the freezer; the cherries and raspberries will be eaten by Tuesday.


Here's the rest! From left to right, again: sweet corn, asparagus (the last of the season!), garlic, onions, tomatoes, jalapeno peppers, and lots of pickling cucumbers. You can tell I had a goal - pickles. The batch of fresh dill was on the deck; I bought it at the mid-week market on Wednesday.


I offered before and after for the berries: here's the After shot of the dill pickle spears. It was a busy night, but totally worthwhile. Some time in the winter, we'll appreciate the spoils of the summer. We won't have to buy store pickles, a money savings. These will taste so much richer, too -- being made from locally grown ingredients and made in my own kitchen.

Now that's a Market Day I can enjoy from start to finish.

Labels: ,

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

4 Comments:

Anonymous Petunia said...

All of it looks so yummy . . your work now pays off right now AND later!

8/08/2011 10:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you must have farming genes. Would you like a hobby farm and a horsie?

8/08/2011 12:28 PM  
Blogger Daisy said...

Any farming genes in my family date back at least four generations. From what I've heard, they weren't very successful, either. I guess I'd better stick to my city life!

8/08/2011 7:25 PM  
Blogger Kristin @ Going Country said...

The MiL took pity on me and bought some pickling cucumbers, since there are still NO cucumbers on our vines. But now there are five quarts of refrigerator dills hanging out in the refrigerator. Two weeks, and I'll be eating those crisp, vinegary spears of deliciousness again.

I can't even eat store pickles anymore. Not even the same foodstuff.

8/08/2011 7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.