Thursday, August 25, 2011

The eyes have it

Paperwork. I felt like I was signing as many documents as I did when we refinanced the mortgage. This time it isn't the house at stake; it's my vision. There was so much to browse that they gave me a tote bag to carry it all home! Sneaky advertising for the clinic, I guess; tote bag, sunglasses, and coffee mug.


Why all the paperwork? I'm getting cataracts removed in October. I'm also opting for the most expensive (read: not covered by insurance) replacement lenses. I rationalized it this way:
  • The cost will pay for itself. No more glasses, contacts, or related expenses.
  • I'm considered "young" for this surgery. I have many years ahead in which to enjoy good vision. I did laugh that 50 is considered young; I was the oldest in the waiting room at the OB/GYN, well past my prime baby years.
  • My hearing loss is progressive; it will get worse. I need my vision at its best.
Good enough? I hope so. It's going to be painful paying for this -- much more than the surgery itself. Deep breath, tighten the belt, harvest fresh food from garden....

Labels: ,

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

4 Comments:

Anonymous Elizabeth Able said...

Good Luck!

8/25/2011 8:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! I hope all the results make the paperwork worth the hassle.

8/25/2011 8:39 AM  
Blogger Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Oh gosh, 50 is too young for cataracts. I'd have them out too - regardless of cost! I hope that all goes well w/ the surgery, and I know you won't be sorry to see them go!

8/26/2011 6:41 AM  
Blogger Judy Jeute said...

Me oh my, you are a Spring Chicken to be having those sorts of problems! Best of luck to you!!! And obviously you deserve a new mug, it's the least they could give you for sipping along with all of those tiny little bylines you'll be able to read when it is all over...AND for years to come!

8/29/2011 6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.