Friday, July 15, 2011

The Professional Wardrobe - second hand style

Regular readers know that I've traded in my classroom for a cubicle. I'll have a sizable class, but I'll be teaching them online. It's an exciting move, one for which I've been preparing for quite a while.

My new cubicle will be in an old building that's been remodeled many, many times. It now houses two charter schools on its first floor, IT & helpdesk & Media Central offices along with a computer lab in the basement, and offices on the second floor. The offices include Special Education, Title I, English Language Learners/ Bilingual Education and more department heads. My new workplace, a virtual charter school, is also located on the second floor.

Now the issues: the building is air conditioned. How well? I don't know. It is heated, but old windows are drafty and leak. The end result: I need to dress in layers. Serious, professional, layers. Since I'll be sharing hallways and bathrooms with administrative peoples, I feel the need to upgrade my wardrobe somewhat. Since my take-home pay will be lower next year (thanks to our nasty current state legislature), I was faced with the dilemma: upgrade wardrobe on a downgraded pay scale after a lengthy unpaid leave of absence. The solution was actually quite simple: second hand. Consignment.

The first pair of jackets are good neutrals. They're both brand name pieces, and both were on sale 50% off the marked price.


Then La Petite found some more colorful neutrals for me. I think we'll replace the rhinestone button on the peachy blazer, but I really like the yellow. Fall and spring, pastels for the office.


Then I became more adventurous. Below is a Laura Ashley jacket in great earth tones with scattered shiny trim. Each time I looked at this one I thought of another pair of pants or shirt that would coordinate with it.

La Petite said she wouldn't wear it herself, but agreed that it was a good style and good fit (and fun) for me. Here's the back view. It's fairly lightweight, too.


Then I got serious about having fun. These two pieces were on the clearance rack as I went to check out. It's hard to see the detail on the vest; it's really gorgeous, front and back. These were 50% off the already low consignment price. The shirt is Croft & Barrow; the vest is Coldwater Creek.

All that for a total of (drumroll, please) $60. Five jackets, a dressy shirt, and a vest: I'm rather pleased with the results. Oh, one more detail: only one needs to be dry cleaned. The rest can be washed on delicate cycle. Now that, my friends, is priceless.

Labels: , ,

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

5 Comments:

Anonymous Jen on the Edge said...

Oh wow, you scored some serious bargains. Kudos to you!

7/15/2011 6:24 PM  
Anonymous Petunia said...

Terrific! I admire your shopping skills . . . my favorite is the Laura Ashley.

7/15/2011 6:42 PM  
Blogger Earth Muffin said...

Second-hand stores are the first place I go when anyone in the family needs clothes. After that, I hit clearance racks first, then sales. Buying new clothes at full price is always the very last resort. You got some great bargains!

7/16/2011 2:10 PM  
Blogger Judy Jeute said...

Gee, somehow I missed about the job change...Congratulations!!!! Hope that takes you to a much better place. And OH YES! I love second hand shopping; so much so that my sons won't even go near a Goodwill with me anymore because they think it will take too long-ha!

7/17/2011 8:39 AM  
Anonymous Jess @twinstyles.blog said...

You shop like I shop. I always score a bunch of great items for around $50-60. The beauty of thrift stores. Love the white blazer.

7/20/2011 3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.