Saturday, June 25, 2011

Summertime, and the Farmers' Market is back!

It's too easy to spend money at the Downtown Farmers' Market. Here you see the bounty of week one. Strawberries, lettuce, cheese curds (freshly made that morning!), asparagus, etc. etc. etc. Most of it fit in my big bag on wheels, but the two boxes of strawberries required two of us to carry.

The strawberries became jam, cereal toppers, and desserts. The bread from the Amish bakery became toast and PBJs. Lettuce was salads and bunny food. Asparagus is one of the rare vegetables that the entire family will eat. I'm buying it every week as long as it's in season!

I didn't buy as much the second week. Lettuce as usual, breads, and whatever is in season. It seemed like almost every vendor had strawberries this time. I didn't buy a whole flat, but I bought a lot! Some of these will be frozen for future jams and future desserts, and some will top cereal and ice cream this week.

It felt right, though. I didn't need a lot. The spinach in my garden is still growing like crazy, and my lettuces are coming up, too. We'll need very little lettuce next week.

Shopping a farmers' market isn't just about buying food. To me, it's also about getting fresh food in season, spending my money locally, and getting food that's grown in a local range, too. One little red pickup truck had Georgia peaches. As delicious as they might have been, I took a pass and bought local strawberries instead. We'll eat peaches in the fall when they're ripe around here.

Labels: , ,

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

4 Comments:

Anonymous Jen on the Edge said...

Wonderful bounty! I'd be thrilled if we could get cheese curds at our farmers' market.

6/25/2011 8:26 PM  
Blogger Judy Jeute said...

Well, I'm showing my CO roots here...but what the heck are cheese curds?

6/26/2011 8:53 AM  
Blogger Green Bean said...

It's a bit dangerous, isn't it? I love the farmers market and almost always bring home an overwhelming bounty.

6/26/2011 9:58 AM  
Anonymous Daisy's Mom said...

cheese curds are fresh, young cheddar cheese in the natural, random shape and form before being processed into blocks and aged. (Cheddar cheese is typically aged from 60 days to 4 years before being sold.) Cheese curds squeak when you eat them and MUST be eaten fresh!

6/26/2011 10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.