Friday, June 03, 2011

Rain! Spinach! And more!

Rain! We finally had a little rain! My rain barrels were empty, and I actually watered the garden with the hose two nights in a row. It felt so wasteful, yet was so necessary. My poor plants were drying up in the cracked soil.

Spinach! We have spinach! I harvested a big batch of spinach to cook up with chicken in my slow cooker. The produce drawer looked like Mother Hubbard's Cupboard (with the exception of bunny food), so I stopped at our neighborhood market and picked up 1 green pepper, 1 red pepper, and one small onion. I found out that the best cheese is located at the meat counter. Feta will be perfect on this dish!

I've also discovered two relatively new thrift stores. I picked up a pot and two tiny cute buckets, sized perfectly for giving away two jars of jam each. Total purchase: $1.97.

Next door was Starbucks. I don't get out much, so I used a gift card and got myself a treat. After that, I mailed a few books and picked up prescriptions.

Now back to the neighborhood market. I used my own bag at the thrift store and for the prescriptions, so when I got to the market, I had to take their plastic bag. Famous last words: "Oh, I don't need to keep all three bags in my purse. Two will be plenty." Uh-huh. The clerk even teased a little because I never, ever need a bag at this little store.

Now the crock pot is simmering, the medicines hiding in their designated cupboard, the new buckets and I'm debating what to grow now that I have another pot. Meanwhile, time to make lunch and relax with the mid-day news.

So, readers, I'm curious. Do you bring your own bags? How many do you carry with you on a regular basis?

Labels: , ,

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

6 Comments:

Blogger book_chick81 said...

I do carry my own bags. If by chance I end up purchasing something when I don't have a bag, I simply don't bag the purchase. Sometimes that leaves me carrying strange things in my purse or juggling items trying to get to the car.

6/03/2011 1:36 PM  
Anonymous Petunia said...

we always take bags to the supermarket. We are working to try to remember to take them other places!

6/03/2011 6:45 PM  
Anonymous Jen on the Edge said...

I always have at least two bags with me in the car, plus my purse is large enough to hold small things like prescriptions and even a library book.

And on my bike, I have a bike basket that doubles as a shopping basket. If I'm biking to the market, then I add a pannier to the back.

6/03/2011 6:56 PM  
Blogger Flea said...

I grocery shop at Aldi, where we bag our own groceries, so the back of my car is always full of bags from past shopping trips. I tend to recycle my bags at home, too, using plastic ones for trash and the paper ones when I need something absorbent. Kinda fun. But I don't think to take my bags everywhere. I use whatever bags come my way.

6/03/2011 8:06 PM  
Blogger Kristin @ Going Country said...

Five re-usable grocery store bags live in my car. I also have a dedicated bag for library books. Two, actually, for two separate libraries.

Even so, we still end up with plastic bags when my MiL or husband goes to the store. They get used, though, for garden produce and dog messes and kitty litter. I still hate them, despite their usefulness.

6/04/2011 4:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always BMOB;) Spinach! Atta way! We're only eating asparagus from our garden so far...and today I'm going to try to rig up our hose to the sump pump output...

6/06/2011 6:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.