Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Get out of my compost, critter!

Never before, in more than ten years of letting compost happen in the backyard, never before has the big black made-of-recycled-plastics compost bin been raided. This year I've found evidence several times - evidence in the form of the side access panel removed and compost in various stages scattered around. I reached for a quick solution: a rock. A big rock. A heavy rock, right in front of the access panel. That should keep the furry creatures out of the bin, right? Right?


Wrong. This big, heavy rock wasn't enough. The critters, obviously with significant dexterity, just reached over the top of the rock and pulled the panel open again. Again!! This critter (or critters) was nocturnal, so I never actually saw it in action. I just saw the results, and the results frustrated me no end.

So I did what so many people do: I turned to duct tape.


I taped the other side shut, too, even though the nocturnal critters with maximum dexterity (and probably opposable thumbs) hadn't attacked that side yet. I wasn't taking any chances.


So far, the tape is working. Let that be a message: get out of my compost, punk!

Labels:

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, compost IS "black gold!"

6/08/2011 8:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can set up my outdoor camera and take a picture in the night when the animals movement triggers it. But I can tell you it is a raccoon. Or it could be Chuck playing tricks on you!

6/08/2011 8:28 AM  
Anonymous Petunia said...

I suspect is is a raccoon. They are clever little creatures!

6/08/2011 8:31 AM  
Blogger The Dutch Girl said...

You tell 'um, Daisy!

6/08/2011 8:42 AM  
Blogger Judy Jeute said...

But on the other "hand", I'm sure the coon is quite appreciative!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Love,
J~

6/10/2011 8:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was having a similar problem about a year ago. I tried duct tape too, but I wasn't so fortunate, the little monster chewed right through it! I eventually bought one of these stealth cam cameras just to set it up in the backyard to figure what was getting in there and how the heck it kept doing it. It turned out to be one very crafty and persistent Raccoon. I couldn't devise a method to keep him out so I ended up trapping him and taking him several miles away so he wouldn't find his way back to my compost pile!

12/14/2011 10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.