Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Blueberry Muffins

I looked through my archives and was surprised to see I hadn't posted this standard recipe in my repertoire. I made these yet again on Sunday morning using frozen blueberries. Something about pulling last summer's bounty out of the freezer makes it a little easier to wait for the first downtown Farmers' Market. It's a standard muffin recipe from the Good Home Cookbook. I made one change: I used whole wheat pastry flour instead of all-purpose flour.

Blueberry Muffins

2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries

1. Stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
2. Beat the butter and sugar in a medium bowl until creamy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then beat in the milk and eggs until well combined.
3. Add the flour mixture and stir just until moistened. Fold in the berries.
4. Preheat oven to 350. Divide muffin batter evenly among twelve muffin cups.
5. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.

Serve! These are delicious. I'm sure I don't need to mention that they go well with coffee.

The Good Home Cookbook, edited by Richard Perry, has been on the market for several years. I got my copy to review when I was a fairly new blogger. Since then it has become my go-to cookbook for many recipes, most notably muffins. I enjoy reading the little bits of baking and cooking lore included with the recipes themselves. The blueberry muffin recipe notes that wild blueberries are popular with bakers because they're slightly smaller than the commercially cultivated fruit. Interesting, isn't it?


Labels:

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's the same recipe we use!

6/07/2011 5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.