Tuesday, May 24, 2011
The theme ingredient at Daisy' house is rhubarb. Amigo requested Rhubarb Upside Down Cake, so I'll make that next weekend when he's home. This stewed rhubarb is similar to applesauce, made with rhubarb instead.
2-4 cups rhubarb, diced (1/4 or 1/2 inch)
1 cup water (add more as needed)
Sugar to taste (my family likes it sweet)
1. Diced rhubarb.
2. Place rhubarb and water in a large saucepan.
3. Over low heat, simmer until rhubarb is soft and mushy: at least 45 minutes on low, stirring frequently.
4. If rhubarb begins to scorch, add another 1/2 cup of water.
5. Cool and add sugar to taste. I used 4 Tablespoons for 3 cups of rhubarb.
6. Add additional sugar to the family's preference. We liked ours sweet.
This was a hit with three out of four family members. Chuck even suggested I find a way to can it. We have enough rhubarb each year; I'll look into it!
The original recipe came from Big Black Dog. I'm so glad I subscribe to her blog. She has excellent recipes and advice.Stumble It!