Monday, April 25, 2011

Sprout or MacGonagall?

I used to think I was most like Minerva McGonagall, head of Gryffindor House, instructor of transfiguration and all-around straightforward, logical Hogwarts professor.

Upon rereading the Harry Potter series, I'm starting to wonder. Maybe I'm more like Professor Sprout. She spends much of her time in the Hogwarts greenhouses; I like to "play in the dirt," as my family says. Prof. Sprout always seems to have dirt on her somewhere; at this time of year, there's always dirt under my nails or on my jeans or on my shirt. She wears a standard witch hat - almost. Her hat has a patch on it; mine is a baseball cap sporting the phrase "What happens in the garden stays in the garden."

Professor Sprout's favorite fertilizer is dragon dung. I'll pass on that and use my own compost. I used used llama manure to make compost tea; it works quite well, and llamas don't breathe fire.

Pomona Sprout is head of Hufflepuff House. Hufflepuff plays a supporting role in most of the books. While Gryffindor battles Slytherin for the House Cup and the Quidditch championship, Hufflepuff takes the "anyone but Slytherin" attitude, cheering on Gryffindor's successes. I'm fine in supporting roles; actively supporting politicians is a hobby of mine. Running for office? Not interested.

Am I more Sprout than MacGonagall? She's easier to spell, I'll grant that. I think I'll put a few seeds in pots and ponder this concept. Pass the dragon dung.

Labels: ,

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

4 Comments:

Blogger songbird's crazy world said...

I like Prof. Sprout. Being like her isn't a bad thing.

4/25/2011 2:45 PM  
Blogger Sandra La Knitalian said...

I like playin in the dirt too, can't wait!!! :D

4/25/2011 4:19 PM  
Blogger Earth Muffin said...

I fancy myself a Mrs. Weasly. Fun post!

4/26/2011 2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dig Sprout.

4/27/2011 12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.