Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Election Day and Homemade Bread

Today is a major election in my neighborhood and state. Yes, I know, it's April. It's not a presidential year, either. In fact, it's not even a Senate or Congressional election. Trust me, folks, in Wisconsin this is big.

Meanwhile, I'm hyper. I need to do something to fill my time in between filling out my ballot this morning and watching the results tonight.
Meanwhile, I'm still fatigued. Exhausted doesn't even cover it. Hyper? I don't have enough energy to really get anything done.

Solution: I'll make bread in the bread machine. I've posted this in the past, and it's worth repeating. I recommend local honey if you can find it. I bought mine last fall at the Farmers' Market.

Honey-Wheat Bread with Oats for the Bread Machine

Add the ingredients as they are printed into the bread machine pan.

1 cup old-fashioned oats
1-1/2 cups water (add more if dough is too dry in 1 tbs increments)
3 Tablespoons canola oil
1/3 cup honey
2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cups white bread flour
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 Tablespoon whole wheat gluten - optional, but it'll rise better.
2-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast

Place all the ingredients in the pan, using the least amount of liquid and adding more if needed, as seen below. Set for 1 1/2 lb. loaf. Select Medium or Light Crust, Wheat course, and press start. Tip: Stay home and enjoy inhaling the lovely aroma of baking bread.

Observe the dough as it kneads. After 5 to 1- minutes, if it appears dry or stiff, or if the machine sounds like it's straining to knead it, add more liquid 1 Tablespoon at a time until dough forms a smooth, soft, pliable ball that is slightly tacky to the touch. Tip: put a little hot water in the honey-coated measuring cup and use this for the additional water, as needed.

Labels: ,

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hm, that sounds good!
I cannot wait to vote!

4/05/2011 9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.