Sunday, March 20, 2011

The world spins out of control

Recovering from depression isn't easy when the news is bad. It doesn't help that I'm a news junkie, one who reads the print newspaper from cover to cover before turning on CNN. How can I feel like the glass is half full in a bad news world?

I'm starting week 7 of an 8 week online course. I'm feeling positive. My course work is going well, my grades are good, and I'm keeping up with the interim deadlines for the final work.
Good news: this course will certify me to teach online.
No longer good news: These credits would have been enough to allow me a lane change, a move on the pay scale.
Bad news: As soon as the current contract expires (in June), we no longer have steps and lanes on our salary scale. Spending my money in this way no longer has a financial incentive.

Glass half full philosophy: This opens up a new avenue for me, that of teaching online.
Glass half empty philosophy: what a waste! All this money! All this time! All this work!

Glass half full: At least work-related tuition is tax deductible.
Glass half empty: in 2012. And who knows what kind of changes may take place in the tax code?

Glass half full: I'm passing. Heck, I'm doing a stellar job! My grades are great!
Glass half empty: Who cares? Thanks to our governor, my time, money, and work are worthless.

Well, this is not working. I'll never finish weeks 7 and 8 if I focus on the negative, the glass half empty ideal.

Maybe it's as my engineer husband says. It's not that the glass is half full or half empty; the glass is simply twice as large as it needs to be.

Rats. That didn't help my spirits at all.

Labels: , ,

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

3 Comments:

Anonymous Petunia said...

Somehow, life always feels better when we see the glass half full! Also, learning is never wasted. This class may open up new vistas. I think you'll find some cheerfulness in having the personal accomplishment.

3/20/2011 1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, I like that. Twice as large as it needs to be.

3/21/2011 10:06 AM  
Blogger Club 166 said...

Well, at least you thought going in that you would get a pay raise after this. Me, I'm about to finish a Master's that I KNEW FROM THE START would not make any difference in my pay. How kooky is that?

Joe

3/22/2011 11:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.