Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Testing the Bread Machines

In November, when the world was caving in on me, and all was definitely not well, I tried to bake bread. The loaf came out odd-shaped, not really edible. I replaced my yeast, thinking it had gotten old and was no longer effective. Then I made another loaf.

I had the same result. Odd shape, risen in one part, not in others. Chuck decided to replace the bread machine for Christmas. But when he wanted to discard the old one, I wasn't quite ready. I hadn't tried replacing the flour. Bread flour is high in gluten, and if the flour was old and past its expiration date, it might have contributed to the problem.

So imagine me now: new bread machine, works like a dream. I'm home a lot (on extended leave of absence), and I have time to make fresh bread. I decided to test the old bread maker in a one on one, loaf to loaf, scientific test. I placed the two bread machines side by side and made the exact same recipe in each one. Same recipe, same ingredients, same settings: the only variable was the bread maker. A few hours and a wonderfully fresh-smelling home later: the results.

Both loaves baked up perfectly.

Now what? I have no room in my kitchen to store the extra. I don't need a second bread maker. I've used the new one enough that I can't return it.
Thoughts:
  • La Petite can have it when she finally moves out on her own.
  • If she doesn't want it, I can sell it at the rummage sale we're planning in June.
  • Maybe a friend or relative needs one? I'll advise them to replace their yeast and flour first.

In the meantime, if we need bread, I'm ready. Don't buy that store-made stuff, dear; mine is fresher!

Labels: ,

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

3 Comments:

Anonymous Jen on the Edge said...

I have the bread maker on the right and it has always worked wonderfully well for me.

In fact, that reminds me that I need to pull it out for tonight's dinner...

2/09/2011 6:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still loving my New Year's Resolution to make bread every week. Just made some yesterday!

2/09/2011 10:22 AM  
Blogger Flea said...

I adore fresh bread from the breadmaker. I use a recipe for hearty oatmeal bread that we all love. Mmmm! Would love to hear any recipes for yours that are especially good!

2/09/2011 2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.