Monday, January 24, 2011

Spring fever - I'll be ready.

My garden is under a foot of snow. The topsoil is frozen, but underneath, the little microorganisms keep living and dying and decomposing, making the soil rich and fertile for spring. There are several piles of compost, frozen solid, dumped last fall but not spread, in between bouts with gout and an influenza-like virus. We barely got the rain barrels emptied and turned so they wouldn't freeze during the winter - spreading the compost just didn't happen. It'll have to get spread in the spring.

Spring. I can look to spring and think positive thoughts. I'll still be on my extended leave of absence. I won't be juggling planting schedules around school calendars; I can work on putting in the seeds earlier than usual, and care for the seedlings by putting them on the deck by day to soak in the sun, and bringing them inside overnight to avoid freezing.

In fact, in the middle of winter - in January! Football isn't even done yet! - I went to Fleet Farm and bought one of these. It's called the Ultimate Greenhouse. I don't know that I'd call it Ultimate, but it was an inexpensive set-up that will work beautifully on my deck while I'm waiting for the frost danger to end.

It does look handy, doesn't it? Mine will be full of vegetables rather than flowers. It's still in the box in the garage. When spring fever hits (April, most likely), I'll put it together. I'm looking forward to that activity, and that's what it's all about right now.

Labels: ,

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget that the walleye run starts in late March so being off from scool will allow some great fishing. And in May starts spring turkey hunting.

1/24/2011 8:03 AM  
Anonymous Pauline said...

The cheery flowers look so pretty . . . can't wait for April!

1/24/2011 10:15 AM  
Blogger Flea said...

Because I've lived in the deep south till recently, spring fever hits me in February. A little too early for Tulsa. I waste more good seedlings that way.

Looks like a great little greenhouse! I know you'll keep us posted and I can't wait to see how things grow!

1/24/2011 7:00 PM  
Anonymous Jen on the Edge said...

I'm getting ready to order my seeds. I don't tend to start things inside, so I have some time. The first thing I'll plant is English peas, which I'll direct-sow starting in late February.

1/25/2011 6:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've brutally shoved aside my seed catalogs for until I return from California! And like you, those rain barrels barely got emptied in time!

1/25/2011 9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.