Friday, January 14, 2011

Simple Pleasures

Simple Pleasures while not working, that is. Listing positives is a good exercise in addressing depression. It's also a good way to focus my thoughts on life as it is, not as it "should" or could be.

These lists must avoid sarcasm. Do you know how hard that is? A list of cynical positives might include:
  • I don't have to teach through flu season! No danger of catching it myself, leading to multiple sick days and huge amounts of substitute lesson plans. No stacks of make up work for kids who miss multiple days of school, either. Yeah!!
  • I don't have to teach Valentine's Day! The sugar hell, I mean sugar heaven - the holiday that's not a school holiday and really shouldn't even happen in class but I'd be in so much trouble with parents if I didn't allow kids to pass out their little cards and candy - oh, thank goodness I don't have to teach Valentine's Day!!
But these are cynical, even sarcastic suggestions. While these are legitimate thoughts and legitimate reasons to be happy, they're not the kind of positives on which I need to focus. Here's a second try.

  • I get to read the morning paper in the morning, taking my time reading the whole thing.
  • I can take my time getting dressed, and then I can dress casually.
  • Lunches are relaxed rather than rushed. I can actually cook a decent and nutritious lunch and take my time eating it.
  • I can watch the early news shows. It's a guilty pleasure, watching the features in between the real news, but it's a pleasure all the same.
  • Cooking supper is more relaxed, too. I can thaw something and cook it, taking my time, because I'm not rushed between school and supper. I have more time to think and plan meals in general. Hopefully that will be a plus for my health (darn this anemia) and not a weight gain!
There are more simple pleasures while on this lengthy sick leave. I'll share more later, and I promise to do my best to avoid the sarcastic versions. I'll think them (oh, you know I will!), but I (probably) won't post those.

Readers, here's your challenge. Leave a comment with at least one positive element in your life right now. Humor is fine, but no cynicism or sarcasm allowed!!

Labels: ,

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

9 Comments:

Blogger Kristin @ Going Country said...

Being home with my son? POSITIVE.

Now having to go anywhere when it's blowing snow outside? POSITIVE.

Cubby sleeping through the night? HEAVENLY.

Life's pretty good right now.

1/14/2011 8:36 AM  
Blogger Flea said...

Sounds like you're making the most of your time to recover and heal. School is a brutal onslaught. I'm so glad you have the opportunity to rest.

1/14/2011 9:47 AM  
Blogger Flea said...

A positive element in my life: I'm listening to the New Testament on my phone for 40 days. It's challenging, unnerving, thrilling, tear-inducing. A definite positive.

1/14/2011 9:48 AM  
Blogger the planet of janet said...

simple pleasure: waving goodbye to my daughter who can drive herself to cheer practice now.

oh wait. that's also a simple sadness as she flies a little further from the nest and i dont have that "car time" to spend with her ...

*cry*

1/14/2011 11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband has taken to baking artisan bread and I enjoy that very much.

1/14/2011 11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband is taking my oldest on a movie date tonight--which is so cool, and leaves me home alone with the one son who has a buddy over for a sleepover. Middle kid is sleeping over somewhere else. It's almost like a night home alone for me!

1/14/2011 1:40 PM  
Blogger songbird's crazy world said...

a positive in my life now? I've got both of my daughters home from college -- for a few more days, anyhow.

1/14/2011 2:13 PM  
Blogger Earth Muffin said...

Oh, how I envy your relaxed approach to dinner! I love when I can just walk into the kitchen and start dinner without juggling it along with homework and next-day-prep stuff.

A positive thing in my life right now is my weight loss. I've lost 20 lbs. since September and I look and feel great! Even the cheating I did over the holidays did not put a dent (or add a bulge!) to my waistline. That's a great feeling!

1/14/2011 2:49 PM  
Blogger Roger Miller said...

Daddy daughter dance season. Who knew there was such a thing. :) I love having time alone with each of my kids and try to do that as much as possible. But I really love the daddy daughter dances. :D

1/14/2011 8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.