Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Dreams: what do they mean?

Chuck thought my dream had a simple interpretation: I've been typing too much. I went to bed with a sore thumb.

He may be right. I do have arthritic symptoms in my right thumb, and my left is catching up. I have a splint for the right wrist and thumb; I wear it at night to immobilize both and ease the pain somewhat.

So here's the dream.

I was in the emergency room - again. Same doctor, same staff, all recognized us from our back to back visits in early winter. This time, I was there because I'd dislocated my left thumb. Is that even possible? In my dream, the thumb had already been set, back in place, and the pain and swelling were gradually easing. Even so, it still hurt like the blazes. Dr. S had decided that I needed a cortisone shot in the joint. Disclaimer; I have no medical background and have no idea what would really be done at this point. It was a dream, remember? I've had many cortisone shots in my foot, so I know that they are very painful, but also very effective. I think the discussion went something like this.

Dr. S: Have you ever had a cortisone injection before?
Me: silent nod.
Dr. S: So you know what it feels like?
Me: silent nod
Dr. S: Okay, here goes.
Me: turn head, find focal point, breathe.

Chuck thinks it's as simple as going to bed with a sore thumb after being on the computer too much that day. He may be right. The other interpretations could be a little more complex.
  • Why was I completely unable to answer the doctor? I'm a verbal-linguistic person; words are my strength. I'm rarely intimidated by medical people. Was my silence significant?
  • The repeat visit to the ER - likely a flashback to the last one, when I opted not to be admitted to the hospital overnight and went to school to leave sub plans instead. Bad choice; I'll never do that again. At least in my dream I followed the doctor's instructions, no matter how painful.
  • Then again, there's that sore thumb. I'm relearning how to handle a keyboard and mouse in less painful ways, and I'm learning to limit the time I spend on the computer and prioritize that time more effectively.
Readers, chime in. What do you think of my dream? Simple, just a result of a sore thumb joint, or a deeper, more complicated meaning?

Labels: ,

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are in the land of Oz.
When the scarecrow lost stuffing they replenished his straw. (your dislocated thumb)
The Tin Man needed oil to speak the needed words and move his joints. (cortisone)
The Lion needed courage to make good choices. (like following Drs orders and not going to school and make lesson plans).
You are like Toto, fiercely loyal to family and job
And you are like Dorothy. You are working hard to get "home" and healthy. When you recover you will wake up one morning and realize this was all just a storm to endure, and the sun will be out.

1/26/2011 9:06 AM  
Blogger Flea said...

Oooo! Great interpretation!

While you're recovering, I highly recommend this stuff for the joints:
http://www.lucsherb.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_53&products_id=184

I get mine at the local Asian market. It's behind the counter and has to be asked for. Bring a picture if you go in. They don't know what it's called. But it ROCKS.

1/26/2011 9:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got nothing. I used to believe dreams have deeper meaning, but now I think they're our imaginations running unfettered.

1/26/2011 10:12 AM  
Anonymous Pauline said...

Wow! I think anonymous hit it on the head!

1/26/2011 1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.