Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Pecan-Cinnamon Cookies

I know, I hear you. Cookies after Christmas? Well, readers, that's the way my life has been running lately. Sheer craziness, no time to even think or plan ahead. I've had this recipe sitting in the kitchen for two weeks, and I finally made it on Christmas Eve Day. The recipe says it makes 48 cookies, but I cut mine thicker and made about half that. They're delicious.

Pecan-Cinnamon Cookies
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour (I used all-purpose this time)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup finely chopped pecans
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

In a bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the butter, 1/2 cup of the granulated sugar, and the brown sugar until creamy. Add the egg and vanilla and beat well.
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt, then add to the butter mixture. Beat on low speed until combined. Stir in the pecans.
Divide the dough in half and use lightly floured hands to shape each portion into a 6 inch log. Wrap each log in waxed paper and place in the freezer until firm: at least one hour.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Unwrap the dough and let stand at room temperature for 5 minutes. On a shallow plate, combine the remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar with the cinnamon. Roll the logs in the sugar mixture, then slice each into cookies. The directions say make the cookies 1/4 inch thick; I had to make mine thicker. They were crumbling like crazy.
Bake on an ungreased baking sheet for 10-12 minutes, or until lightly browned.

Serve with coffee, of course. Or milk.

Hints: I had pecan halves in the cupboard, so I put them in a ziploc bag and pounded them with a meat tenderizer. It worked beautifully and felt oh, so satisfying.
Readers, do you use whole wheat pastry flour? I'm finding it recommended by more and more cookbooks and blogs. My grocery store doesn't carry it; where do you buy this kind of flour?

Labels: ,

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never heard of these before--but pecans and cinnamon? Always good together!

12/28/2010 10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woodman's has wheat pastry flour, to my surprise. I had thought it was a made-up term, but it truly exists!

12/28/2010 1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.