Thursday, December 02, 2010

Holiday shopping the thrift-y way

I admit it. I've been growing greener every year with my holiday buying. Wrapping, too, but that's another story.

Two years ago I gave reusable shopping bags to everyone on my list.
Last year most extended family members received anti-static dryer balls.
This year: I'm not sure. Cloth napkins? That would work for a few of the folks, but not all. Gifts in a jar? That would be a good start; I usually give these to the people who work closely with me at school. Homemade jams? If I have enough, that could work.

Think. Think. Think. Thank Winnie-the-Pooh for this inspirational thought. Think. Think. Think. While I'm pondering the options and considering keeping my pocketbook and philosophies loaded with green, take a look around the blogosphere for others with thrifty gift ideas.

The Elegant Thrifter has authored and published The Find; The Housing works book of decorating with thrift shop treasures, flea market objects, and vintage details. Check out the blog for ideas and techniques and frugal fun.

The Thrifty Chicks update infrequently, but when they do, it's worth reading.

Leah at Suddenly Frugal champions all things lean and green. Recently she gave advice on maximizing the value of your holiday spending and how the US Postal Service keeps the season green.

Sonya at Dime Store Thrift posts great finds and creative ideas and even has her own Etsy shop for selling her thrifty creations.

If you're more bargain cyber-shopper than thrifter, go to WantNot.net. Her tag line "Having it all with less" accurately reflects her personal philosophy and her posts are full of bargains and humor.

Meanwhile, I continue to think, think, think. I don't have a green theme gift yet; maybe this is the year I won't find one that works for all. While I ponder the possibilities, I'll slice up last year's holiday and birthday cards for reuse as gift tags. At least I'll feel useful that way.

Labels: , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you give them homemade granola in huge mason jars? With a side of jam?

12/02/2010 9:58 AM  
Blogger Teresa said...

Love that i found your blog - just because you commented on mine! From yours, I just became a follower of the Dime Store Thrift. I love Goodwill but our local store has more junk than anything. And I don't mean good junk, either. Truly JUNK.

12/02/2010 11:45 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I really like the reusable shopping bags. They are still going strong!

12/02/2010 7:04 PM  
Anonymous Jen on the Edge said...

I shop at my local bookstores (new books, used books) for many of the people on my list.

I also give gifts of locally-made/grown foods. When my in-laws moved down here this fall, I noticed when I unpacked their kitchen boxes that they don't have beer pint glasses, so I bought them eight and then bought some local beers to go with the glasses.

I *love* giving reusable bags and I often give the aforementioned local foods in Eco Women organic cotton totes.

12/03/2010 6:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.