Friday, October 01, 2010

Random Dental Thoughts

If you've been following my plurks or tweets lately, you know I've spent several weeks in pain from an unexplained ankle problem. I realized the ankle pain was serious when I was in the dentist's chair getting work done. Yes, the dentist.
I'm a wimpy dental patient - the kind who wants every kind of painkiller and relaxant available. Our dentist is kind and understanding. He doesn't call me a wimp; he says "We want you to be comfortable. Would you like some tylenol before we start, too?" And then the assistant hooks up the nitrous oxide and I take a deep breath.

Back to the ankle. I was breathing in the nitrous and relaxing, finding a focal point on the ceiling (Lamaze style), and realized with a Woodstock-style tone "Wow, my ankle doesn't hurt. For the first time in a week, my ankle feels good." This thought was followed by my logical self saying "Wow, that's not good. Self, call the doctor when you get home."

Two weeks later: The ankle still hurts, but the teeth are doing great. No pain, easy cleaning, and the final crowns go on in next month. The dental assistants are really good at giving practical advice, too. They show me how to brush better, how to floss, and how to make sure the temporary crowns stay in place until the final pieces go in. Somehow, they're polite and professional and non-judgmental the whole time.

When is dental floss not a floss? When it's a Bryton pick. It's small, reusable (wash it after each use, it's quick), and easy to handle. Bryton sent me two samples, and I tried them out during a busy season: sweet corn on the cob season. The little pick worked for me: less waste than traditional floss, tiny and easy to store, and effective in getting rid of the residue from the delicious farmers' market corn.

Now if only I could get rid of this ankle/foot pain as easily....


BrytonPick sent me a sample product in order to do this review. Yes, it honestly came in late August when we were buying and cooking and eating sweet corn every week. Perfect timing, as far as I'm concerned. I was not otherwise compensated for this review.

Labels: ,

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

1 Comments:

Blogger Flea said...

Seriously? The ankle pain still terrorizing you? But the pain meds took it away. Huh. Has it gotten any better at all?

10/04/2010 11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.