Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Bread Pudding

I learned to like bread pudding long ago when I made it for a chain restaurant's breakfast buffet. I also learned not to order it off the menu or buffet unless I'd made it myself. Just knowing that restaurants made it from stale leftover bread made me a little leery of the contents. Home made bread pudding, however, can be a lovely comfort food: breakfast, snack, or dessert, depending on how you want to serve it.

Bread Pudding
2 1/2 cup scalded milk
1/4 cup melted butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3-4 bread pieces, cut in chunks
2-3 eggs, beaten

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Place bread, sugar, & cinnamon in a baking dish (1 quart size). Add eggs, milk, and butter. Mix well. Place baking dish into a pan of water (1 inch deep) and into oven. Bake 20 minutes or until knife inserted 1 inch from edge comes out clean. Serve warm or cold with milk or cream.
I also diced one and a half ripe bananas into the mix. I had the bananas, and I remembered using leftover bananas that were too ripe for banana splits in the buffet bread pudding. Yum. Oh, and about a quarter cup leftover apple confit, too. Tasty!

I served it with whipped cream and coffee. Are you surprised? No, don't answer that. But try it; this is a good recipe for using excess bread and rapidly ripening fresh fruits, and a good comfort food as well.


Labels: , ,

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I confess I've never eaten bread pudding and I'm totally intimidated by it.

10/19/2010 11:38 AM  
Blogger Flea said...

Oh my! May I serve this with a brandy or whisky sauce?

10/19/2010 9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.