Monday, July 26, 2010

My Garden Show - beyond the backyard

Looking outside has been a little scary lately. After a recent hailstorm, my tomatoes were draped weakly over their supports. I had to get up my courage and prune the broken stalks, tie up those that were salvageable, and hope for the best. Our fair state and my lovely county have received triple the normal amount of rain for July. If we get a little sun to balance it, the garden will be fine.

But in the meantime, I just have to live vicariously through my Internet garden friends. Here's a fun site for gardeners of all types, all zones, all sizes of yards or no yard at all.

Your Garden Show lets readers show their own gardens, see others' gardens, and see all kinds of green thumb results. The features an expansive 6,000 vegetable database developed by Cornell University (778 varieties of tomatoes - I didn't know there were that many varieties!) and a 5,900 ornamental database powered by Missouri Botanical Garden, one of the oldest botanical gardens in the U.S.A.

Uniting the 25,000 square miles of America’s gardens and beyond, YourGardenShow.com encourages passionate gardeners to "show and tell.” Maintaining local roots in California, Iowa, Illinois, New York, Massachusetts, Virginia, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands and Italy, the YourGardenShow.com team includes "Groundskeeper" Mark Kane, the former Executive Garden Editor of Better Homes and Gardens. (But does he use a smiley coffee mug like Groundskeeper Daisy? I'd guess not.)

Like many hobbies and interests, gardening has a strong following on the Internet. YourGardenShow.com is a good site on which to share the fun of playing, er, working in the dirt. Enjoy!

This is not a paid post. The PR people at YourGardenShow.com sent me an email inviting me to check out the site and share it if I saw fit. I liked it; this is my way of sharing. I hope your garden is growing well, your rain barrels are full, and the sun is shining on your zucchini. Well, maybe on the zucchini. Never mind.

Labels: , ,

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

1 Comments:

Anonymous Stacie Shepp said...

Thank you much! Zucchini is indeed growing well and almost ready for harvest after a late summer here. Glad you had a good experience at YourGardenShow.com

9/17/2010 5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.