Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Girl Scout in Me

The Brownies at my school were working on their HerStory badge and wanted to interview adults who had been Girl Scouts when they were young. I pulled out my old Junior uniform sash and took a walk down memory lane.


A quick inventory shows a few stars, tarnished from storage in basements and closets. Fly-up wings representing the move from Brownies to Juniors. Troop number, council name, and badges: badges galore.

The badges are a fascinating glimpse into the girl I was in elementary school. Two music: one general, another more advanced. A cooking badge; I earned that with my piano teacher and her daughters. Two that imply outdoor cooking - what was the difference between the campfire and the grill? Was it exactly what it seems? There's a badge with a slipper, medeival style. Storytelling? Theater? The sewing badge that I earned along with my troop; I squeaked through this one by the skin of my teeth with my mother's help. The sewing gene skipped a generation; my daughter can sew, but I can't.

The oval patch above the troop number - I now know it was the troop crest - featured a lily of the valley. I've always loved these gentle flowers, and I grow them in my backyard.





With the patches - badges and crests and more - come the memories. I hope today's Scouts' memories last into their adulthood. I thank them for inviting me to visit their troop and stirring me to reflect on the way the Girl Scout in my past resembled the woman I am now.

Labels: ,

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How cool that you shared that with your students! That's neat.

3/11/2010 8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was a boy scout, but only for a couple years. I often wondered why the two groups never competed much. I reckon the answer should be obvious. ;~)

3/11/2010 4:33 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

That's so cool that you kept that. I was in brownies and I have no earthly idea where my sash is.

3/13/2010 2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our girls are in a Daisy troop. I keep promising to find my sash, but I haven't done it yet. Now I'm inspired to do it tomorrow.

3/13/2010 10:00 PM  
Blogger bubbleboo said...

That's so lovely. I was never in anything like that and Chipmunk would struggle with Cubs...regardless of the fact that the waiting list to get in is huge!

3/28/2010 9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.