What is Normal? Who is Normal?
Normal = neuro-typical, non disabled.
Normal = typical, following the norm.
Normal = expected, unsurprising.
Normal = cool forehead, no fever.
Normal = just another sheep following the herd.
Is Normal good or bad? Is Normal something in between? Is Normal a comfort level, don't rock the boat, or is Normal that's-the-way-we've-always-done-it?
- Does Normal have an IEP (Individualized Education Plan)?
- Does Normal need an adapted cell phone?
- Does Normal stay in the background or insist on action?
- Is Normal pink, red, or mauve?
- Does Normal get on the right track, just stand there and wait to get run over?
- Does Normal slow for yellow lights or speed up?
- Does Normal walk to school or take her lunch?
"Normal" doesn't need to go the way of the R-word (retarded). Normal is, after all, a city in Illinois. But all of us, not just the so-called Normal folk, need to think before we speak. Telling a disabled person that they are not Normal is inaccurate, hurtful, and just wrong. Stumble It!