Thursday, November 12, 2009

Preparing for winter, thinking of spring

The chairs are stacked, and the cushions are stowed away in the basement.



The new composter is set up on bricks, within reach of the driveway. I will actually be able to compost coffee grounds and filters all winter long!


I'm still thinking about the old bunny hutch. The hutch is old, not the bunnies. Our pet rabbits have house privileges now; we don't use the hutch any more. I've been stashing my garden tools there. The debate: should I take down the hutch completely? The rhubarb could expand into this area. Or should I keep it, take off or repair the doors so it's more usable? I think I'll decide in the spring.

Still to be done: put away the little cello-playing frog (hiding behind white roses) and take care of the roses. The rosebush on the right is a knock-out breed; according to my current information (provided by my mother) it doesn't need to be cut back and insulated for the winter. It's trying to send up one more bloom before the snow comes. Should I chance it?

Labels: , ,

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a similar situation with my delphiniums--going for a THIRD bloom!
Happy composting!

11/12/2009 9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.