Wednesday, September 30, 2009

How much garden still grows?

Call it leftovers, call it a fall crop, call it the end of summer. Call it whatever you wish; to me it means that school has started and summer gardening is nearly done.
I neglected the broccoli and it flowered.


The beans are hanging on, producing a few more handfuls for the steamer, and even putting out a few small buds that might ripen if the warm weather holds.

And of course the zucchini continues, even after I cut back the vines to prevent the powder mildew from spreading even farther.


The kitchen has green tomatoes ripening on every windowsill. If you've ever seen my kitchen, you know that means on both (small) windowsills and probably beside the sink. I'm going to keep visiting the farmers' market until it's over; when the fresh vegetables and fruits are gone, I know I'll mourn.

Labels: ,

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I covered my beans and tomatoes last night because I am a desperate woman.

9/30/2009 9:35 AM  
Anonymous cityslipper (social marketing strategies) said...

It is hard. Every autumn. Here, the warm weather hangs on stubbornly, but we can smell frost. Soon it'll be all about seed catalogs.

9/30/2009 8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.