Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Creole Seasoning for Dirty Rice and more

My family (politely) complains that my cooking can be a wee bit bland. They're right. I haven't mastered the fine art of spices and seasoning. When I found a Gumbo recipe that had a Creole Seasoning recipe on the side, I ripped the page out of the magazine and made the seasoning right away. Honestly, I admit it; I made the seasoning the next morning. That's still a fairly quick turnaround, isn't it?

The other issue is this: our latest dietary guidelines. On our doctor's advice, we're cutting carbs down to a very tiny portion of our daily eating. Since instant white rice is not so good for either of us. I went searching for an alternative to our favorite boxed dirty rice mix. Using the new seasoning and a bag of long grain brown rice, I came up with this Dirty Rice.

Creole Seasoning Ingredients:
2 1/2 Tablespoons paprika
2 Tablespoons salt
2 Tablespoons garlic powder
1 Tablespoon black pepper
1 Tablespoon onion powder
1 Tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 Tablespoon dried oregano
1 Tablespoon dried thyme


Combine all ingredients thoroughly. Store in a tightly covered jar. Yields 2/3 cup.



Daisy's Dirty Rice

Ingredients:
1 pound lean ground beef or ground chuck

1/4 cup each: green pepper, red onion, celery

1 cup cooked brown rice (check this out; it takes a while to cook)


Brown ground beef with pepper, onion, and celery. Drain and rinse in colander. Add rice and beef mix to skillet along with 2 Tablespoons Creole Seasoning Mix and 1 cup water. Simmer until heated through and excess water has evaporated. Serve with fruit or a salad on the side.

The verdict: delicious. La Petite and Chuck (formerly known as Husband) added green tabasco sauce to theirs, but they pronounced it a success. I don't think they knew the rice was healthier than our usual brand; I didn't tell them!

Creole Seasoning from a Gumbo recipe in the Braille Monitor, July 2009 edition. I'll try the gumbo and pass it on if it works!

Labels:

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

7 Comments:

Blogger Earth Muffin said...

Sounds great! Thanks for sharing.

7/28/2009 7:30 AM  
Blogger Cajoh said...

I have always heard of dirty rice, but now I know how to make it.

I have a feature post called Fridays' Feast. This next week I am letting people submit anything food related. This would be a great recipe submission. Let me know if you want to link up.

7/28/2009 8:15 AM  
Blogger Flea said...

I like "Chuck". And love dirty rice. Thanks for the recipe! I tend to use Tony Chachere's seasoning. And we loooove brown rice. Mmm. Basmati is good, too.

7/28/2009 12:56 PM  
Blogger Momisodes said...

What a clever way to spice up brown rice. I know my family would love this, and I have all the ingredients in house, too.

7/28/2009 9:52 PM  
Blogger MUD said...

Some time try to make wild rice and use it for a salad. We make on with chicken, grapes, water chestnuts, scallions and a red wine and mayonaise dressing. Right before it is served we throw on some cashews. MUD

7/29/2009 10:29 AM  
Blogger mindelei said...

Nigel & I will have to give it a try. We also use Tony Chachere's seasoning for a lot of things. I even like it on my popcorn instead of salt!

6/24/2010 7:59 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

What a great and easy recipe for Dirty Rice. For a very low salt content in creole seasoning, we use Papa Paul's Seasoning. Thanks!

6/16/2011 5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.