Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Rice is nice. Can you make it nicer?

I like rice dishes, and the family does, too. We keep a few rice mixes (Rice-a-Roni and Zatarain's) in the pantry, but I'd really like to cook more from scratch. Lately I've been experimenting with Spanish Rice as a side dish to go with refried beans as a side for tacos & burritos & fajitas. All are simple suppers, and rice is a simple side dish. Right? Well, maybe.

I tried cooking the rice in water flavored with taco seasoning. The results were okay, but not stellar.
Cooking the rice in beef or chicken broth worked a little better. A teaspoon of chili powder and/or red pepper flakes helped, too. Diced onion and green & red peppers made a nice addition to the flavor as well.

But I still feel like this version of what I call Arroz Mexicano (and serve most often in combination with Frijoles, refried beans) needs something more.

Ideas, anyone? What are your favorite ways to spice up rice?

Labels:

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

5 Comments:

Blogger MUD said...

On the rice aisle of my local store there are tubes of yellow rice that have a chicken base added and it is mighty good. I use a Basmati (Ultra Long Grain) rice for most meals. I cook pork chops in the pan and then make spanish rice on top of them. I use vadalia onions when they are available. I still eat potatoes but I do eat a lot of rice. MUD

6/02/2009 9:46 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

I love rice. I am trying to use more brown rice. I haven't made Spanish Brown, but here's what I do for regular Spanish. I start cooking rice the normal way with water. While it's still working up to a boil, I add chopped onion, a little chopped celery, cumin, a can of diced tomato, chopped peppers, if I have them and a cup of frozen corn. The spicier seasonings I add after it's cooked, as my kids won't eat spicy food, so I have to segregate theirs first. Hey - I think I just solved the supper conundrum! BTW - leftovers make excellent burrito filling.

6/02/2009 12:07 PM  
Blogger debra said...

I have a rice steamer that I use all the time. I add different things: broth, sesame oil, tamari, herbs, spices, a little onion, nuts. It depends on the flavor I'm looking for.I almost nevr use packaged mixes except occasionally Far East.

6/02/2009 9:17 PM  
Blogger Momisodes said...

I LOVE yellow rice. It could eat it just plain and be happy :)

I've heard that some yellow rice also has achiote and tumeric.

6/03/2009 8:33 AM  
Anonymous Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

Saffron. It is expensive, but it has that wonderful taste.

Also, a shot of red wine vinegar at the end. It sounds bizarre, but I swear it works.

6/04/2009 10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.