Monday, June 15, 2009

Guacamole

This is Husband's recipe. He makes it, I eat it. Well, okay, he eats it, too. La Petite has added this to her repertoire now, too. It's become a standard when we need to bring a dish to pass.


Guacamole Dip


2 Ripe avocados, peeled, cored, cut up
1 large tomato (fresh, firm, diced - peeled if you prefer)
1/4 chopped red onion
1/3 to 1/2 cup mayonnaise or Miracle Whip
1 teaspoon salt
1-2 drops tabasco sauce
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
(optional: 1 diced green onion)


Combine and mash all ingredients. Cover and let chill for a few hours or overnight. Serve cold with chips!


Tips:
For the tomato: Before dicing, slice the top off; then use a grapefruit spoon to scoop out the inner pulp.
Chips: Use any kind, but make sure they're firm. Chips that crack in the thick, delicious guacamole dip are no fun at all.
On the side: margaritas, of course!

Labels:

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

5 Comments:

Anonymous daniel (writing problems) said...

I'm a huge fan of guacamole. Have you tried it with fresh cilantro? I don't use a recipe, but what I make looks a lot like yours minus the mayonnaise and plus a generous handful of chopped, fresh cilantro. Sometimes I'll use lime juice instead of lemon, but the key is: a little sweet, a little sour, and a little savory.

Next batch I make, I'll add some mayo as per your husband's recipe. Thanks!

6/15/2009 7:09 AM  
Blogger MUD said...

Holy Guacomole, Mayo is just a fat that adds to the calories. Again you added lemon juice and not lime juice. Try the cilantro or some Italian flat leafed parsley. For a change try Mango and some crunchy fruit lie Asian pears. Tabasco has a new Hot sauce that is slightly milder and more garlic. Oh well, if you like it, eat it. MUD

6/15/2009 9:56 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

I'v been getting wonderful avocados from Costco I'll have to give this a try....It sounds wonderful

6/15/2009 1:09 PM  
Anonymous Elizabeth said...

I have an avocado ripening on my kitchen window ledge. When I make sandwiches, I love using a little avocado instead of mayo.

6/16/2009 1:50 AM  
Blogger Cajoh said...

My wife makes hers without Mayo. She also uses a lime to stop the avocados from turning brown.

Thanks for the recipe… perhaps when I make it myself, I will use that (I love Mayo).

6/16/2009 7:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.