Saturday, May 16, 2009

Enough about me. Let's talk about flu!

Random thoughts from a schoolteacher who spends the day with lots of wonderful, lovable, but germ-filled little kids.



My class picked a fine time to run out of tissue.
I'm devious enough to hide a box of Puffs with lotion in the cupboard behind my desk.


The industrial sized bottle of hand sanitizer is almost empty.

Good thing I have my own mini in my desk drawer.


It's allergy season (for many, including me).
Maybe the class parents will send in a few boxes of tissue after their own kids use their sleeves once too often.



And the kids wonder why I don't let them use my pens and pencils - I have a separate can for their supply of spares.
Germ phobic? Maybe. I don't want to touch a kid's pencil or pen without reaching for hand sanitizer immediately. Monk-like? Adrian, not Thelonius.


I clean the computer keyboards and mouses (mice?) frequently.
I have a pod of four computers; my class of 24 shares them. I can only imagine how many colds have spread this way.


I must stop eating lunch at my desk. That's really an unsanitary practice. Not to mention the way the crumbs in the computer keyboard make it hard to type!

I really, really must stop applying swine flu hysteria to my teaching. I have enough to worry about! Remind me again -- how many Mondays until June?

And more: Mother Nature Network has a great feature on swine flu information vs. media hysteria. My favorite part is this headline:

SWINE FLU-INFECTED SHARKS ATTACK PIRATES
School Children, Cute Animals, Lindsay Lohan Said to Be at Risk

Labels: ,

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

3 Comments:

Anonymous daniel (home kitchen garden) said...

Each time I read one of your posts I feel even more as though we'd get along well. This one had me laughing.

My mom was a near-germophobe, and managed to instill the problem in me. Were I teaching school, I'd wear a hip-mounted sani-wipe dispenser and I'd master the quick-draw!

5/16/2009 8:56 PM  
Blogger Judy T said...

Hello, I just wandered in from somewhere. Don't worry, only a few more weeks of school left. You'll make it.
Judy

5/16/2009 10:47 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Huh....stopping in from blogher and your post made me think....I think I'll send in a box of tissues with my son tomorrow for his class :)

5/19/2009 1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.