Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Toasted cheese sandwiches with an attitude

You pick the attitude; I'll help with the sandwich. A simple grilled cheese sandwich can be much better than soft and squishy white bread and mock-dairy cheese-food.


First: good bread. I like wheat, the family likes white, so I use homemade white with a hint of wheat or commercial wheat that isn't too full of what Husband (affectionately) calls nuts and twigs.
Second: spread the butter thin, very thin, on one side of the bread. This side will go on the outside while the sandwiches are cooking, er, toasting.
Third: use good cheese. Individually wrapped slices of cheese food are okay in a pinch, but good Wisconsin cheddar is better. If it's not melting fast enough for you, grate it first. Also try colby, swiss, provolone, or for the gutsy palates, pepperjack. Real cheese takes the blandness and gives it zip.


Now the fun: the add-ins. Inside the sandwich, try these:
  • tomato, sliced thin
  • sliced ham, very thin
  • any good lunchmeat: turkey or chicken, even salami
  • chorizo or polish sausage for an ethnic twist

On the outside, consider:

  • olive oil of your choice in place of butter
  • thyme, rosemary or basil
  • Italian seasoning

These simple steps can make your basic sandwich into a full-fledged luncheon ingredient or visitor-worthy panini. Well, my visitors tend to have simple tastes like I do, so it works for me.

Labels:

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

4 Comments:

Blogger Cajoh said...

I always tend to forget how simple toasted cheese sandwiches are. When I was little my mother used to make it with Munster cheese (what I called Monster cheese). Nowadays I use cheddar and mozzarella. I'm sure mixing up the cheese adds new dimension to the sandwich as well.

Thanks for sharing,

4/21/2009 8:18 AM  
Anonymous Caffeinatrix said...

I never considered putting chorizo on my grilled cheese. I'm definitely going to try it.

4/21/2009 10:28 AM  
Blogger Margaret Cloud said...

This is surely worth a try, thank you.

4/21/2009 7:05 PM  
Blogger Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

We are fans of the Provolone, tomato and ham version. And my husband are nuts and twigs fan. Costco sells a great healthy bread.

4/23/2009 8:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.