Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Spring Fever Rhubarb Crunch

You're right, I made this in March. In Wisconsin in March. I made this recipe the day after a snowstorm that dropped five inches of wet, heavy white stuff on us.
I keep rhubarb in the freezer. When it's ripe and I can't bake it quickly enough, I dice it and freeze it in one-cup portions. To make this recipe I needed six (6!) cups. Here's the recipe and the play-by-play commentary.

1 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons finely shredded orange peel
2 tablespoons orange juice
6 cups diced rhubarb (about 1 1/2 pound)
1 Tablespoon butter, softened
2 slices white or whole wheat bread, cut into quarters
3/4 cup finely chopped pecans, macadamia nuts, or almonds
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger or nutmeg (I used both, 1/8 teaspoon of each))
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup melted butter

1. For filling: In a large bowl, stir together the granulated sugar, orange peel and orange juice. My rhubarb was so juicy when it thawed, I wondered if I should skip the juice. I didn't. Add rhubarb; gently toss until coated. Let the rhubarb mixture stand about 15 minutes or until a syrup forms, stirring occasionally.
2. Using the 1 tablespoon butter, generously coat the bottom and sides of an 8X8X2 inch baking dish (2 quart square). Set the baking dish aside. I had supper in the oven (homemade mac & cheese, mmm), so I put the pan in the oven to let the butter melt.) Set aside.

3. This is the part I changed from the original. I used the right ingredients, but I prepared it a little differently. Place a steel blade in a food processor. Add bread quarters, pecans, graham crackers, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and salt. Pulse a few times until mixture is crumbly. Somehow, it didn't seem worthwhile to get out my large and heavy food processor for just two slices of bread, so I threw in the whole thing. It worked like a dream, creating a nice and even and aromatic crumble.

-Okay, we take a break here because I did when I baked this for the first time. As soon as I set aside the baking dish and the rhubarb syrup mix and made the crumble, my mac & cheese was ready. I set all three pieces of the dessert aside and had supper with my kids. After supper I finished the rhubarb crunch, put it in the oven, and cleaned up the supper dishes. Maybe that's why I....never mind. I'll get to that.

4. Evenly scatter 1/3 of the crumb mixture onto the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Top with the rhubarb mixture. Sprinkle remaining crumb mixture over the rhubarb. Drizzle melted butter over all. Oh, no! I just took the finished dish out of the oven and realized that I completely forgot the melted butter!

Serve with whipped cream or ice cream. Serves 6 -- or 4, with a little left over for lunches tomorrow.

I found this recipe in the April issue of Midwest Living Magazine. They suggest modifications such as mixing berries such as blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, or chopped strawberries with rhubarb, substituting 1 1/2 cups of berries for the same amount of rhubarb. I suggest increasing the amount of sugar; mine was a little tart.
They also suggest not forgetting the butter. I won't tell the family if you won't.

Labels:

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I planted rhubarb last spring--so excited to have my own bounty!

3/10/2009 10:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that you did this NOW. :)

I'll bet I could do this recipe with a combo of apples and cranberries in place of rhubarb! I have some cranberries in my freezer - I stock up on them when they're available for the Holiday season. I can never get enough cranberry.

3/11/2009 4:43 PM  
Blogger TC said...

We need to refurbish our rhubarb patch. And I should learn to cook! So I could make some rhubarb "resserst."

The "Word Verification" word was "resserst," and since I like word play, I played with it in the last sentence above.

3/11/2009 8:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.