Friday, March 27, 2009

Hermithood

I would make a good hermit, I like to think.
We had a half day of school, and I was invited out to lunch twice by difference coworkers. I begged off and came home instead, using La Petite as an excuse. "She's home for spring break, and I want to spend time with her." Did they know La Petite didn't stand a chance of being awake when I got home?
Instead of a fish fry lunch at a nearby restaurant, I made leftover mac & cheese with a can of Diet Coke with lime. It was perfect.
Next I loaded the crockpot with thin-sliced potatoes, turned it to high, and added a few spices. It'll be scalloped potatoes or a facsimile tonight.
After that, I gathered all the towels and cloth napkins in the house and started a load of laundry.
Then? I settled down on the couch with La Petite (she was awake by that time) and watched Wednesday's American Idol, which we'd recorded for Amigo.

In the 80s, we called it Cocooning. Stay home, curl up in a blanket, read a book, not go out. Lately we've heard about Staycations, but that's not the same thing. Cocooning is being cozy at home, not leaving the house. It's kind of a twenty-first century hermithood. Is that a word?

It is now.

Labels: ,

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

2 Comments:

Blogger Earth Muffin said...

I like it!

3/27/2009 4:59 PM  
Blogger Little Miss Sunshine State said...

I would make a GREAT hermit. I like being home much more than going out.

3/27/2009 9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.