Thursday, December 11, 2008

Fireplace brick style wrapping paper

La Petite showed me this technique a few years ago. I wanted to make a poster, and the brick wall motif worked well for the project. Since I'm avoiding buying wrapping paper this season, I thought I'd try it again.
The tools: iron, ironing board, spray bottle for water, marker (black or brown work well), and plain brown paper bag(s).

Step one: Crinkle the paper. Crunch it up. Crumple it.

Step two: Spritz it with water, smooth it out, press it. The water softens the paper and keeps it from scorching. Caution: it also weakens the paper, making it likely to tear.

After the pressing, draw brick shapes on the paper with the marker. I'm not an artist; mine are rough, very rough. It's okay; wrapping paper gets torn apart and thrown out right away anyway. This batch will go in the recycling bin.

But until then, I have two pieces of "fireplace brick" with which to wrap a present or two. One bag survived the process; one didn't. Both will look fine under the tree.

Labels: ,

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

2 Comments:

Blogger Flea said...

What fun! Thank you for the idea! I have tons of paper bags stacking up. :)

12/11/2008 7:26 AM  
Blogger SARFRAS said...

Hi I have my own blog dedicated just to Goa.

May be U are interesed to see it

http://365goa.blogspot.com/

12/12/2008 4:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.