Saturday, November 08, 2008

NaBloPoMoPhoBia: Germs.

(with credit going to Minnesota Matron for the creative phrase in the post title)

Teachers Fear Germs. Illnesses. Sick days. Whenever I'm sick, I have to leave sub plans. Writing lesson plans for a substitute is twice as much work as writing my own plans. Writing sub plans while ill....agony. Simply agony. Catching up when I get back? I don't even like to think about it. It's sufficient to say that illness weighs on my mind a lot more than it does for the average middle class working citizen.

Influenza. Training as a Public Health volunteer made me realize that we're closer to a pandemic flu than I thought. I've posted about my training and fears, thoughts for family preparation, and more. Immediate action? Flu shot. Clinic coming up soon!

Cold viruses, bacteria, pink-eye, and other lovely micro-organisms. 1. I wash my hands and teach the class to do the same. 2. Keep tissue boxes scattered throughout the classroom. 3. I don't touch the doorknob unless I have to! 4. (see #3) Hand sanitizer on desk and at entrance to room.

Head lice. Yes, the unspeakable. I haven't seen many cases this year, but in other years the need for nit-picking has been outrageous. Prevention: avoid touching children's heads. If children hug me, avoid bringing hands to head until washed/sanitized.

Oh, yes, I have my share of phobias that are intensified by my line of work. So excuse me if this post is a little short: I need to check my stock of Airborne and echinacea and vitamin C.

Are you sneezing? Does your head itch? You're welcome.

Labels: ,

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooooh, the lice...that gets me every time.

11/08/2008 12:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been trying and trying to figure out where I could put a compost-bin on my postage-stamp city lot. I can't see putting one out six feet from the sidewalk, and the only not-public place is so shaded I don't think it could possibly heat up enough. Darn...

One of my son's friends is working in the kitchen of a home for seniors while taking a food science course in college. He came to visit the other day, and as he wandered through the kitchen, pointed at various bits of countertop, sink, and stove, reciting, "Salmonella, salmonella, e-coli, e-coli, e-coli, botulism..."

I protested. My kitchen is not pristine, but it's decently hygenic!

He explained they were studying this right now in school, and "It's scary, man! I'm amazed any of us are still alive!"

And then he went downstairs and helped my son clean his room.

Let's hear it for phobias!!

11/09/2008 7:32 PM  
Blogger Minnesota Matron said...

Here's how warped I am -- I went looking for the public health panic post.

11/11/2008 9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.