Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Crock Pot Potato Soup with or without Ham

Today's recipe is simple because my life has been chaotic recently. When I have meetings after school and little time to cook, my crock pot is my friend. This was an experiment, since I've never been able to make a potato soup that satisfied me. Can I replicate it the next time I want to? As with most of my kitchen experiments, only time will tell.

4-6 medium russet potatoes, washed and sliced thin (peeling optional)
3-4 cups water or chicken stock
(From my garden, a few leaves of spinach, this summer's add-in)
a sprig of fresh thyme
green onion, chives
lemon pepper to taste
1-2 cups diced ham
potato buds (for thickening)

Place potatoes and spinach and thyme in chicken stock or water.
Let cook on low for 6-8 hours.
Mash potatoes, but leave enough small chunks to be satisfying.
(Alternative: Use an immersion blender.)
Add 1/2 cup potato buds.
Add ham.
Turn crock pot to high for one half to one hour.

Serve with grated cheese and a delicious homemade bread on the side.

Labels: ,

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

3 Comments:

Blogger Deb said...

Yep, I was making Potato Soup on Saturday night. Of course now that it's just me I don't get out the crockpot, but I still had enough to put extra in the freezer. I like diced carrots and celery in mine; it's richer and more colorful.

11/11/2008 8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmmmm....anything with cheese & bread on the side is good, though.

11/11/2008 1:08 PM  
Blogger Shash said...

This sounds so good! I think I will have to make this ASAP!!! :)

(even if I live in FLA, where it is warm!)

Shash

11/11/2008 6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.