Thursday, October 16, 2008

When all else fails, bake.

I've been coughing so much my ribs hurt. I slept past noon Sunday, and I never sleep late. Never.
Amigo still has a sore throat from his endoscopic tests. We may have more clues to solve the mystery of the stomach pain, but for now, he's still coping one day at a time.
A major virus hit our main desktop computer overnight. We are rebuilding from scratch, from what husband and his engineer pals call "First Birthday." Nothing, but nothing, survived.
I spent 45 minutes cleaning up and responding to my school email -- on a Sunday night!!
My world is spinning out of control.
I cope by accomplishing something simple: I bake. This time, I baked cookies. The dough was pre-made, a tub in the refrigerator from a choir fundraiser. Turn on the oven, scoop the dough onto the cookie sheets, and fifteen minutes later, voila! White chocolate macadamia nut cookies.
Bringing things down to a more elemental level helps me feel better in control. It takes the spinning world of emails and illnesses and work-family balance and lets me accomplish something worthwhile in a short period of time. Baking allows me to simplify, to slow down in a speeding world.
No recipe this time, folks. The recipe here isn't for cookies: it's for simplifying a complex life, taking down the stress level by focusing on a small success.
I think I'll go have a cookie now.
Happy Love Thursday, everyone.

Labels: , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You NEED that long weekend coming at the end of the month. I love to bake too when things get hairy. It is quite calming.

10/16/2008 12:47 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Sorry to hear about all the stress!! Enjoy your cookies and maybe some coffee or hot tea. :)

10/16/2008 3:41 PM  
Blogger Carissa(GoodnCrazy) said...

I just made pumpkin cheesecake bars. And I will think of you while eating them.... in the interest of baking and all.

10/16/2008 7:49 PM  
Blogger Becca said...

It's so important to have something that helps you cope down. Lucky for everyone around you that it is cooking yummy treats!

10/16/2008 9:55 PM  
Blogger Margaret Cloud said...

Sorry to hear about the virus. Hope everyone is feeling better. I usually go to cleaning things to cope, and you have a nice relaxing week end.

10/18/2008 8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.