Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Oops Soup

In college, they'd serve us a soup they called minestrone. We called it "Oops Soup." It would have a tomato-like broth, and in it would be leftovers from all the week's meals. Mixed (very mixed) veggies, several kinds of noodles, we even found a whole hamburger in it one week.
My Oops Soup is better. At least I dice the leftovers into pieces.


This week it started with a tomato soup that didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped. It wasn't tomato-y enough, a wee bit bland, and just not up to the standard of the usual fresh tomato soup in our home. So...the leftovers didn't go in the freezer; they went back into the crockpot.


Added to the leftover tomato soup (I could call it Oops Soup Stock):
1 can dark red kidney beans
1 can black beans
1/4 cup frozen corn
1/2 cup rice
a dash of fresh thyme (from the deck, of course)
leftover noodles (from the chix noodle soup Amigo was eating: he was on clear liquids, so he couldn't have the noodles)


Served as a side with stuffed pork chops.


Why not more vegetables? That is a valid question. The original tomato soup had many, many vegetables grated and blended into it. I could have added more, but why? A can of tomatoes might have looked good, but the taste and the nutrients were already in it.


Oh, yes. Cooking time! In the crockpot on high for 3-4 hours. This soup just had to heat through, not cook thoroughly, so it didn't take as long as most crockpot dishes.


Oops soup it is. See, Mom, I did learn something in college!

Labels: , ,

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

2 Comments:

Blogger Minnesota Matron said...

Here's my bad cold remedy (the soup reminded me and I have one so the remedy's not there yet :-). I cook tomatoes, onions and garlic in a big pot and eat that as 'soup.'! I didn't learn that in college but I did learn how to survive on popcorn. . .

10/21/2008 2:32 PM  
Blogger Flea said...

Mmmm. That sounds really good. I made minestrone from scratch this weekend, as well as beef vegetable. Both yummy. I'm so glad it's that time of year!

10/21/2008 9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.