Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Tomato!

That's the title of the cookbook I found in the grocery store bargain bin. How could I resist at book with a big photo of fresh tomatoes and the full title Tomato: a tantalizing tour of ravishing recipes?! It was only $2. I bought it. Then I gathered a bucket of tomatoes and made sauce. As usual, I did it with my own special touches.



Chunky Tomato Sauce
adapted from cookbook Tomato, mentioned above


1 tbsp oil
1 small onion
1 small green pepper
1/4 cup grated zucchini
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
6-8 tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
2 tbsp fresh basil leaves, coarsely shredded
salt and pepper to taste


Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the onion, green pepper, and garlic and cook over low heat to 10 minutes until very soft. Add the tomatoes and cook for an additinoal 10-12 minutes until the mixture is pulpy. Add basil leaves, zucchini, and salt and pepper. Cook gently until all the ingredients are hot. Serve.



To prepare tomatoes:
Choose tomatoes that are soft to the touch for a sweeter taste and easier handling.
Place tomatoes in a large bowl. Cover with boiling water and let stand for 2-3 minutes, then lift out one at a time. Using a knife, pierce the skin and peel it off. Cut the tomato into quarters, then cut out the central core and seeds. Chop the remaining flesh and place in a large bowl.


The original recipe called for black olives and anchovies. I added zucchini because I had a little left over from a batch of zucchini bread. This recipe didn't make as much as I thought it would, so I added it to a can of tomato sauce and served it over spaghetti. It was a winner with my family!

Labels: ,

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

3 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Its 8 a.m. here and you've now got me craving pasta and a great tomato sauce. Mmmmmm.

Am loving your design. Supercute!

9/16/2008 8:05 AM  
Blogger Jodi Anderson said...

Oooh, this sounds like a fantastic way to use up some zucchini too. (And, without it being too obvious to my husband that it's even in there!)

9/16/2008 2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bought a tomato cookbook once when I had tomato plants giving me tomatoes at the wazooo. It had the best tomato soup recipe ever. I don't know what happened to that book, but wish I still had it.

9/17/2008 2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.