Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Martha Stewart definitely wouldn't make this one

Black Bean and Beef Burritos -- well, it started that way.

1 lb. ground beef
I have that.
1 clove garlic
1/4 onion, diced
So far, so good.
1 15 oz. can black beans
In the pantry: can do.
1 cup jarred salsa
We're out of salsa? When did that happen?
1 package flour tortillas
Okay, the package LOOKED full. I didn't realize there were only two tortillas in it.
1 tsp. ground cumin
shredded cheese to taste

Based on the recipe and the actual ingredients present in my kitchen, here's how it went.
Chop the onion. Saute until clear. Add ground beef and minced garlic. Stir and simmer until browned.
Drain beef. Return to pan.
Add beans.
Now here we go with the creative additions.
Add taco seasoning, 3/4 cup water, and 1 can diced tomatoes. (We didn't have salsa, so this would have to do.)
Start water for....(drumroll).... pasta. Yes, pasta. Why not? Martha Stewart doesn't live here.
Add spices (cumin and a little chili powder: All right, already! I didn't list chili powder in the ingredients! It wasn't on the original, okay?!)
Simmer beef and bean mixture. Let it thicken while the pasta cooks. I used angel hair spaghetti. Yes, I did.

Reaction from La Petite: "What taste should I expect when I eat this? Mexican or Italian?"
She added parmesan cheese.
Husband added grated cheddar.

I called it Spaghetti Mexicana.

Labels: , ,

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

5 Comments:

Blogger Margaret Cloud said...

This is a very funny post, coming by to say Hi.

9/02/2008 12:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet they loved it!

9/02/2008 1:33 PM  
Blogger Flea said...

Mmm! Spaghetti Mexicana! Always a treat! ;)

9/02/2008 7:52 PM  
Blogger Amy W said...

I am so going to make this...

9/03/2008 12:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants creativity! I love it!

It also sounds yummy. I think we'll try it.

9/03/2008 2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.