Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Lesson plans and recipes

On the night before Amigo started school, the night before my own Open House, two nights before my students were due in the room, I did what I do under pressure: I went into the kitchen. It was too hot to bake (zucchini bread, I'm ready!), so I worked on planned-overs instead. Planned-overs, for the uninitiated, are leftovers created on purpose.
Example: Beef and bean burritos are delicious. The original recipe came from a mom with seven kids. Seven! So I cut the recipe in half and still have leftovers. The leftovers become huevos rancheros, scrambled eggs topped with a substantial spoonful of beef/bean mix and a dollop of sour cream or grated cheddar (Don't worry, Amigo, yours didn't have cheese or sour cream).
On Labor Day I labored in my classroom from 7:00 AM until 11:00 and then gave up in the heat. I packed my schoolbag and headed home to A/C comfort. After a few hours of schoolwork on the computer (and Twitter and Plurk and browsing the MOMocrats latest reactions), I made supper. But while I was in the kitchen, the "Oh, no, it's school time and I won't have a chance to cook and everyone needs lunches and whatever will we do" panic set in. It's okay. I can cope.
Today's solution:
While grilling superburgers for supper, grill hot dogs for the fridge and freezer.
While simmering baked beans on the stove, brown a pound of ground beef for tacos or sloppy joes later.
While outside tending the fire, harvest the latest batch of spinach.
While the food is cooking, soak and rinse the fresh spinach. Tear it, place it in steamer, and while blogging (Ha! you knew that would be on the list), let the spinach cook. Place cooked spinach in small containers in the freezer for an incredible addition to a winter soup.
Somewhere in this time period, I diced a batch of wax beans for the freezer as well.
Belinda at NinjaPoodles put away enough to feed an army, it seems, or at least a growing kindergartener. I'm not in her league, but I do have a good batch of yummies ready for later.
Next: crockpot tomato soup, perhaps.
And while the spinach cools, make desk tags for the class.

Labels: , ,

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

3 Comments:

Blogger Flea said...

Why do I always get hungry when reading your blog? Time for breakfast and a cuppa joe.

9/09/2008 7:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm like you, if I'm stuck in the kitchen doing one thing, I might as well do two.

9/09/2008 10:12 AM  
Blogger ninjapoodles said...

If there was one thing I wanted from my garden this year, it was spinach. Guess what died first?

9/09/2008 11:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.